Since it was founded in 2008, Ecolocity has held some great events and made significant accomplishments. Here are our favorites:
– Establishing a community garden at Bruce Monroe Park(Georgia Ave. at Columbia Rd. NW) that allows D.C. residents to grow their own fresh produce
– Establishing a forest garden at Emergence Community Arts Collective (733 Euclid St. NW) to demonstrate the viability of intensive urban agriculture in densely built neighborhoods. Planting began in fall 2011.
– Creating the Potomac, the local currency for the DC Metro region
– Expanding forest gardens to parks, public spaces, yards, and other spaces in 2012. About 30 different locations have been proposed for the next implementation phase.
– Establishing a DC Foodshed Map
– Holding a series of workshops on sustainable food and composting with the support of Washington Parks and People
– Organizing community swap and pot-luck days
– Holding a Training for Transition weekend with trainers from US Transition Network
– Establishing the Petworth Community Market