We are seeking individuals or couples to join our intentional community. We welcome housemates of any ethnicity, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, and age.
About us: We are 4 families and 5 single people, with 6 children, 2 dogs, and 1 cat among us. We constantly strive to devote attention and caring to our relationships with one another and live our lives as a form of social change. Many of us are also activists in the larger world.
Move in time: Nov 1.
Motivation: We believe that having the most fulfilling lives possible is largely accomplished by the quality and depth of our relationships with others. We therefore work at creating a caring, sustainable community in which we communicate with one another openly and compassionately.
Location: 251 Manor Circle, Takoma Park, MD. This is a 4-floor all brick building with 12 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, a large living room, dining area, playroom, office, and spacious balcony. 2 blocks from the food-co-op, walking distance to Takoma metro stop, farmers' market, restaurants, library, community center, Sligo Creek park, yoga center, Liz Lerman dance exchange, and tot-lots.
We have one doublet room opening up Nov. 1, and possibly others. The rent (including utilities) for the doublet is $900, plus $150 for each additional adult occupant. An additional equity payment and community fund payment are also part of the arrangement (read below about the co-ownership model and sharing).
Co-ownership model: We have developed a hybrid co-ownership model that makes it possible to buy-in or develop equity over time in the legal entity that owns the building.
Sharing: We each choose community service shares of approximately 5 hrs/wk, for house/yard work (cleaning, cooking, child care, gardening, maintenance, finances, etc). Our community fund provides for the food, 5 or more house meals per week, and eco-friendly household products. We also divert significant amounts of fresh, still-wrapped food from the waste stream, significantly reducing our food budget. We share cars when possible, with one dedicated shared car that runs on used vegetable oil or diesel.
Among us: Environmental and social change activists, dancers, musicians, people who like to play outside, adults, children, parents, and non-parents.
We're looking for others who:
- Are dedicated to intentional and compassionate communication
- Desire to live in and contribute to community
- Desire to contribute to the larger world and sustainability
- Are socially progressive and environmentally minded
- Enjoy children
- Are interested in “my room is my private space” living
- Keep community spaces pleasant, clean, safe, and inviting places to live
- Want to share in household responsibilities
- Are willing to participate in house meetings and group decision making
- Are interested in shared activities, house meals, building neighborhood community
- Enjoy simply hanging out w/housemates
- Don't smoke or use drugs (drinking at our house will also be uncommon)
- Will compost, recycle, and use the clothesline (we do have a dryer for cold, rainy days)
- Can live without harmful chemicals (including synthetic soaps, cleaners, perfumes, certain shampoos...)
Goals and Decision-making: We have created a values and vision statement, and a document of intention and practice that describes our approach and goals in more detail. We use a values-based consensus model of decision-making and have committees of interest so that community members to have the opportunity to be involved in decisions that will affect them or the house.
For more information, contact: Tarek Maassarani
Please include information about what interests you about this particular way of living together!