Since it was founded in 2008, Ecolocity has held some great events and made significant accomplishments. Here are our favorites:
- Establishing a community garden at Bruce Monroe Park(Georgia Ave. at Columbia Rd. NW) that allows D.C. residents to grow their own fresh produce
- Establishing a forest garden at Emergence Community Arts Collective (733 Euclid St. NW) to demonstrate the viability of intensive urban agriculture in densely built neighborhoods. Planting began in fall 2011.
- Creating the Potomac, the local currency for the DC Metro region
- Expanding forest gardens to parks, public spaces, yards, and other spaces in 2012. About 30 different locations have been proposed for the next implementation phase.
- Establishing a DC Foodshed Map
- Holding a series of workshops on sustainable food and composting with the support of Washington Parks and People
- Organizing community swap and pot-luck days
- Holding a Training for Transition weekend with trainers from US Transition Network
- Establishing the Petworth Community Market
To find out more about these projects, please email ecolocitydc at gmail dot com, which is our group account.